Thursday, May 14, 2020

Heading Off to College - Have you Considered your Banking Plan?

Heading Off to College - Have you Considered your Banking Plan?
Written by: Mitchel R.

Graduation cap on top of stacks of money - Rooted in Rights

As a senior in high school who is soon making the big jump to college life, there are many things to consider and plan for.  It is no secret that college kids spend a lot of time studying, but they also spend a fair amount of money on things they need or for entertainment.  With money coming in and money going out, it is important that college freshmen are ready to manage their banking needs when they begin their first year.  All seniors should make it a priority the spring or summer before they head to college to firstly select an appropriate bank that will offer their needed services while at college, and secondly should have a fail-safe plan like a credit card at their access should there be some sort of emergency.  Having a solid banking plan in place will ease the transition to college and not create any added chaos.   I recently opened a new account at Chase Bank in Pewaukee as a sort of step one to getting ready to manage my money while attending Michigan Tech in the fall.

There are many financial options and choices out there, and this blog is an attempt to break it down and provide pointers as to what will be needed and what all seniors should do to prepare banking wise before they begin their first class at their chosen college.  I was prompted to begin researching how and what I would need as far as banking at college because I needed to open a Zelle Pay account (mobile pay app) for my employer.  This led me to realize my local and current option of banking at Waukesha State Bank would not provide the services I would need at college.  Here are some primary considerations I learned about in my initial search to find a new bank that would meet my needs:

Are College Millennials Responsible with their Parents' Money ...

Going Local
Try to pick a bank that is local to where you will attend college if at all possible.  There are times when you might need to make a deposit or make a withdrawal, and the convenience of making these transactions will be very important.  In terms of banking for Michigan Tech, there aren’t many local options.  A few of the listed banks include Superior National Bank, Flagstar Bank, and Incredible Bank.  Rather than these, I opted for Chase bank.  Clearly, any college student is going to use an ATM at some point so I just have to realize going into it that I need to be aware of what ATM fees will cost me if I want to withdraw $20.00 and take that into consideration.  Since my bank might not be local to where I’m attending school, a clever way to work around the ATM fee is to take advantage of the “cash back” option.  I can buy a bag of chips and request the cashback option then and get the cash I need and not pay an ATM fee.  All college kids should take advantage of this in order to minimize fees.

Check For Easy to Use Online Banking
Since college kids won’t be wanting to make all kinds of walking trips to the bank, it is important to find a bank that has easy to use online banking and a good mobile banking app. The online banking feature should allow you to use your devices to check your balance, deposit checks remotely, make payments, and send money to other people. If online banking isn't easy to use, then that is a definite red flag for banks.  There should be some sort of online payment option like a link to Zelle or Venmo so that money can be easily paid or received.  Also, you want to make sure that there is an easy way for electronic fund transfers, so if it is the case that your parents are generous, they can put money in your account from time to time.

Learn about the Student Account
A student bank account is a checking or savings account that a bank or financial institution offers to college students.  You want to make sure that the student account you sign up is the best option.

Make sure it is free.  You don’t want to pay a monthly charge just to bank with a certain credit union or bank.

Avoid a Minimum Balance Amount.  It is ideal if you don’t have to worry about maintaining a monthly balance.  With my new current account, they don’t care how much money I keep in my account as long as I don’t drop below zero.  You definitely don’t want a bank as a student that is going to penalize you if you drop below $50.00, for example.

Learn about the Overdraft Charges.  Overdraft charges can be avoided if you set up your account to prohibit you from drawing out funds that you don't have if you are at a restaurant or ATM.  You don't want an account that allows you to buy something at Taco Bell when you don't have any money but the bank will cover the charge and then stick you with a $35 overdraft fee.  This would obviously make the meal quite expensive in the end.  Now is also the time to make sure that you don't have any auto-renewal subscriptions (like a gaming or music app) that could try to draw out monthly funds and then if you don't have the money, you will incur an overdraft charge.

Free Checking is Nice.  Free checking or one box of checks for free is a nice option to have.  A lot of college kids aren't going to use checks, but there might be that infrequent time that a check is needed, and then it is nice to have the check to use.

Bonus Cash.  It is especially great if you open your new account and you can make money just for doing so.  For example, I opened my student college checking account with Chase and I get $50.00 when I complete three transactions using my debit card.  This is a signing up bonus, and truly who doesn't want free money?

Hopefully, this blog has informed you as to how you should be planning financially when you originally start out with college so that you can make smart financial decisions and don’t have any issues arise throughout your time as a college student.

Works Cited
Alexa Mason, 2-copper-coins, et al. “The Top 10 Straightforward Money Tips for College Students.” The College Investor, 11 Feb. 2020, thecollegeinvestor.com/10556/the-top-10-money-tips-for-college-students/.

Alicia Adamczyk. “5 Things Every College Student Should Do with Their Money.” CNBC, CNBC, 28 Aug. 2019, www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/5-things-every-college-student-should-do-with-their-money.html.

Goldberg, Matthew. “6 Financial Moves Students Should Make Before Heading To College.” Bankrate, Bankrate.com, 10 Apr. 2020, www.bankrate.com/banking/financial-moves-to-make-before-college/.

9 comments:

  1. I like the infographic you included. It has useful information about the most common expenses that college students use their parents' money for. I never considered looking at sign up bonuses or other auxiliary benefits provided by a bank or other financial institution. Because many different options offer similar accounts or benefits, it can be a fairly small thing that makes the difference between one choice and another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing a bank nearby is a great idea so it is a lot more convenient espicaily if you have a job and dont have direct deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the info-graphic, and I also agree with Ethan. Selecting a bank that is near your location is important to make the money transfers easy. Most colleges do have banks within their college so that you are able to have it be convenient for you, and they will also offer lots of different kinds of accounts based on your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really informative and organized article. I am heading to college next year and just started planning what bank it will be best for me to transfer my accounts as there are no branches of my current bank in the city I will be going to school. This helped show everything I need to consider and what things are most important to pay attention to when budgeting and creating a bank plan for college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog post was very informative and really shows how important the bank you choose is. Obviously there are lots of choices when picking a bank, but like you said convenience and benefits are a good thing to look into when picking a bank. The infographic that you used provides lots of information on how people spend or make their money in college and is a good use of visual aid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I am a junior and not quite a senior, I find your blog post interesting and informative for the future. While I currently do have a banking plan set up for myself, it is interesting to see that this could be affected depending on where I plan to go to college in the future. In your section called “Going Local”, while it is important to look for potential local banks, it is also important that they fit other criteria you may have when setting up an account. It is important to conduct thorough research into multiple options for banking while heading into college. Overall, I think that the information and statistics provided completely cover the topic and give well thought out details on future banking options for those heading into college this fall or even next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Especially since I plan on going to school in Providence, Rhode Island, the idea of finding things local is very important to remember. I will be a long way away from my parents so it is going to be a transition. Doing research on card companies, banks, etc. is definitely something I will do before I get on campus. Do you know whether your school has discounts or connections for banking? - Logan T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is definitely a lot of good information on this article that can be very useful for students coming out of high school. Not only did you provide us with the general information needed about banking but you also provided us with good tips and tricks on how to benefit from banking the most and make the right decisions when it comes time. I will definitely remember to do these things when starting my bank account before college and making sure I am ready to keep money and not blow it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://www.urduvippoetry.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...