Monday, May 18, 2020

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Written by: Norah K.

Quarantine boredom is an unfortunate side effect of the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Weeks spent inside, with little flexibility for outdoor ventures, can be draining. Seeing the same people every day, doing the same things…you get the picture. You might choose to pick up a new hobby during quarantine. Video games can be a fun way to kill some time. You can even develop some skills, like problem solving and hand-eye coordination. One game, released during the quarantine, is a popular way of beating quarantine boredom. Upon its release, Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold 1.88 million copies in three days in Japan alone, breaking previous sales records held by Pokémon Sword and Shield (1.3 million) and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (1.2 million). (If you’re unfamiliar with ACNH, watch this trailer.) Essentially, your character moves to a deserted island after purchasing a deserted island package from Tom Nook, pictured at left. How does this game about anthropomorphic animals relate to personal and financial management?


In ACNH, you start off in debt to Tom Nook. Luckily for you, Tom Nook offers zero-interest loans with no due dates. You must pay him about 50,000 bells (the game’s currency) to account for your travel arrangements, the accommodations, a NookPhone, labor, and tax. You can also pay your debt in Nook Miles, which can be earned by completing island activities. Once you pay off your initial debt, Tom Nook offers to build you a house, which puts you 98,000 bells in debt. This pattern is repeated; every time you pay off a debt, Tom Nook offers your character a chance to expand their home at greater costs. The game introduces players to a method of debt management known as the debt-snowball method. In the snowball method, you pay off your smallest debts first, working your way up to your greatest debt. In the real world, this greatest debt might be student loans or mortgages. The snowball method is a concept you can apply in both the game and in your future.


To earn bells or miles in ACNH, you can complete activities, such as catching fish, collecting fruits, and crafting items to sell. Some especially lucrative bell-making strategies include selling the “hot item” of the day at Nook’s Cranny (for which you’ll receive twice the profit), selling rare insects or fish (tarantulas, one of the rarest insects in the game, go for 8,000 bells each), and purchasing bell vouchers with your Nook Miles (each voucher gives you 3,000 bells and costs 500 miles). You can also buy and sell turnips from Daisy Mae. Turnip prices vary from week to week; you could either gain or lose your bells in the process. The turnip market is somewhat similar to the stock market. Buying turnips is essentially an investment, and when you sell them, you might lose bells. That’s an important thought to keep in mind when investing in real-world assets. Never expect gains, and don’t invest all of your money in one thing.


One final thing to keep in mind about ACNH is that consistent play is the best way to earn bells. Players can slowly accumulate bells by doing things around their island. In the real world, the best way to earn money is through consistent effort. Just like in ACNH, you can set small goals, or rewards, to encourage saving (like buying a new sweater or saving for a house expansion).


Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a valuable boredom-killer and tool for developing certain money-management skills that can be used in the real world. The adorable villagers and colorful graphics are just an added bonus.


Sources: 

Benjamin, Adam, et al. “How Animal Crossing Made Me a Better Money Manager.” The Simple Dollar, 1 Apr. 2020, www.thesimpledollar.com/financial-wellness/animal-crossing-better-money-manager.

Craddock, Ryan. “Animal Crossing: New Horizons Sold A Whopping 1.88 Million Copies In Three Days In Japan.” Nintendo Life, Nlife Media, 25 Mar. 2020, www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/animal_crossing_new_horizons_sold_a_whopping_1_88_million_copies_in_three_days_in_japan.

Lynn, Lottie. “Animal Crossing Money Making: How to Get Bells Fast in New Horizons Explained.” Eurogamer.net, Eurogamer.net, 24 Mar. 2020, www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-20-animal-crossing-bells-money-making-new-horizons-7018.

Ramsey Solutions. “How the Debt Snowball Method Works.” Daveramsey.com, Dave Ramsey, 26 Mar. 2020, www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-the-debt-snowball-method-works.


5 comments:

  1. I really like this topic. I never really thought about what this game taught you I just thought it was fun and definitely a boredom killer. It is actually really cool that this game secretly teaches you about money management and how to handle debt. I think that money management is a really good thing to learn at a young age. My parents give me some money to teach me about money management but not all kids learn it from their parents so this game could actually be a good teacher for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899 

      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 







      CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899 

      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 






      CONTACT THE BEST LOTTERY SPELL CASTER FOR THE RIGHT LOTTERY NUMBERS NOW HIS LOTTERY SPELL IS 100% GUARANTEE WHATSAPP +2348118829899 

      Hello everyone am Raymond from Pennsylvania USA I want to share my wonderful testimony of how a powerful spell caster called Dr Great helped me to win lottery, i have been playing lottery for a long time now but I had no luck everything changed when I messaged Dr Great about winning the lottery he assured me that I will be the next winner he told me what to do and I did it and 24 hours later he sent me the lottery numbers and I played it I couldn't believe it I won $1,000,000 dollars it's was the best thing that have ever happened to me in my life. If you want to win a lottery WhatsApp or Call Dr Great on this number +2348118829899 or email him at infinitylovespell@gmail.com or infinitylovespell@yahoo.com 

      Delete
  2. I like that you decided to talk about the new Animal Crossing game because I've played many of the entries in the series before. I think that even if it isn't 100% realistic, it is definitely a good way to instill some good but basic lessons in kids so that they are prepared for it in the future. Hopefully Nintendo will continue to produce games with some good lessons behind them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your comparison with Animal Crossing and the real world! I have played that game and when I saw your post I was immediately interested. Your last thought is very important, staying consistent and working towards your goals is the most important thing in life, and even if we fall behind or mess up, we should still keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that a game so focused on repaying debts and money managing is so popular. Obviously, the cute villagers is the main focus of the game, but the game does incorporate the debts and financing heavily. The interesting thing is, Tom Nook never expects interest on a loan. He's not really making any money out of this situation. I wonder how he keeps his business afloat (unless you count what you buy from the Nook Stop), but how would this work if banks did this in the real world? If there was no interest and you never had to pay your debt back, I think it would cause a huge instability in the banks since there was no reason to pay a debt back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...