Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Yankees Retire Jeter’s #2


The Yankees Retire Jeter’s #2
Written by: Steele Beatty 

Derek Jeter is known as one of the greatest men in baseball finished a twelve season baseball career as a shortstop for The New York Yankees, During those twelve seasons he produced five world championships for the Yankees. He had a stunning .310 batting average during those years and broke a New York record with 3,465 hits. Well on Mother's Day, the day he specifically picked out, Jeter’s #2 was retired and now belongs to him. He is the 22 player from the Yankees to have his jersey retired.
Picture of Derek Jeter standing by his plaque after jersey retirement on Mother's Day May 14, 2017.

The opportunity cost of having Derek's number being retired is now all number one through ten have been retired along with twelve other numbers. Which makes some question, are the Yankees taking jersey retirement a little too far. Although they have had some greats in the past 22 players is a little excessive, with the next closest team being the St. Louis Cardinals with only having eleven numbers retired. Derek in our time will be known as one of the greats to play the sport but when looking back in Yankees Stadium and seeing all 22 numbers hanging on that wall #2 will not stick out that much ever more numbers 1 through 10 will look less appealing because they all have been retired. The opportunity cost of retiring all 22 of those jerseys make the true greatest players seem less appealing for generations to come.

On the other side of things now that Jeter’s number is retired the cost of his merchandise has gone up. Comparing Jeter's signed autograph to a still playing great MLB player is a difference of $200 for signed baseball. Now as the years go on the price of his autograph will most likely go up because Jeter will pass away, so the supply will either stay a constant or decrease because some autographs could get ruined, that will make the demand increase. The average Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig signed baseball goes for somewhere around $15,000, now that will depend on how the future looks at him and in my opinion I don't think he will be remembered as they were.

Overall Derek Jeter will be looked at highly but not as highly as he should have been remembered. Overall Derek will be looked at a nice guy and as a classy guy as you can see as sport illustrated writers talk about him on this short clip.

Works Cited

"Derek Jeter: No. 2 Retired at Yankees Stadium." Time. Time, n.d. Web. 15 May 2017.

"Lou Gehrig Memorabilia." SportsMemorabilia.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2017.

Polacek, Scott. "Derek Jeter Jersey Retirement Ceremony: Best Pictures, Tweets and More." Bleacher Report. Bleacher Report, 14 May 2017. Web. 15 May 2017.

Wire, SI. SI.com. Sports Illustrated, 14 May 2017. Web. 15 May 2017.

9 comments:

  1. I do agree with you on how the amount of Jeter product purchased has increased. I think a lot of people are willing to spend more even with a high opportunity cost of buying another piece of merchandise that is cheaper. Also, they see that there future value of the merchandise and are buying it now to increase that value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testimony of financial breakthrough from GOD through the help of Funding Circle Loan INC. (fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622)...

      Hi I'am Evelyn Russell resident at 808 NE 19th St Oklahoma City, I am a single mother blessed with 2 daughters. For a while now I have been searching for a genuine loan lender who could help me with a loan as I no longer have a job, all I got were hoodlums who made me trust them and at the end they took my money without giving me any loan, my hope was lost, I got confused and frustrated, it became difficult for my family to feed with a good meal, I never wanted to have anything to do with any loan lending companies on the internet again. Not until I met a Godsent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family Through the help of a fellowship member "a lender with the fear of God in him Mr JASON RAYMOND, he was the man God sent to elevate my family from suffering. At first I thought it wasn’t going to be possible due to my previous experience until I received my loan worth $135,000.00 USD in less then 24hours. So my advise to anyone out there genuinely in need of a loan is to contact Funding Circle Loan INC through this official email:- fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 and be financial lifted.


      Delete
  2. I think that revenues of stores will increase due to the widespread demand of Jeter attire after his number was retired. I disagree that the opportunity cost of retiring 22 jerseys makes true greats not as recognizable and distinct. Besides the increase in revenues of stores selling Jeter product, I'm not quite sure what economic concept retiring Jeter's number presents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that he won't be remembered as well as the greats such as Ruth or Gehrig. All I know about the retired numbers is that 1-10 were retired which is a little ridiculous. I can't even name 5 of them which probably means they were a little lenient on retiring numbers. It would be interesting to see the Yankee's retired numbers pricing compared to a lower market MLB team such as the Brewer's. I'm sure Rollie Fingers signature is not worth nearly as much as Derek Jeter's just because of the team he played for which is kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the point that he won't be remembered like Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, but compared to a lot of the other 21 Yankee retirees, I think he will stand out. A lot of the other retirees I can't even think of, but I think that everyone knows Derek Jeter's name. As for his memorabilia, I think that it was a good time and good idea for the Yankees to retire the number. A lot of times the wait is a long time before someone's number is retired and a lot of people aren't as interested in that person as time goes by. While Derek Jeter is still fresh in everybody's mind, it was a good idea to retire his number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that the Yankees are retiring too many people, but I believe that Jeter is one of the greatest players of all time so he deserves to have his number retired. Having his number retired is creating a large amount of sales of things like his jerseys, which is good for the economy. Sure, he won't be remembered like Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, but he his still a pretty big part of MLB history, so he deserving of everything he is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree the number of retired jerseys for them is now reaching a high number. I think they may need to restrain from retiring a players jersey. One players who name may be in discussion very soon is Alex Rodriquez, also known as one of the all time Yankees greats, but also with a past of PED use. I do not believe that anytime soon we will see the #13 hanging from atop Yankee stadium. I do agree with the retiring of Derek's jersey though. He is such an iconic player that was loved by many, and the retirement brings a large abundance of revenue in for the Yankees organization when selling Hats, shirts, pins, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the Yankees are retiring too many peoples numbers. In my opinion, this situation reminds me of inflation. The value of getting your number retired in this organization just isn't as special as it is in some other organizations that have fewer. I do believe that Jeter was one of the greatest SS of his time, but is disappointing that he isn't one of the few that have. Teams should be more picky about retiring jerseys and only do that for players that had an everlasting impact on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the decision to retire Derek Jeter's number will increase the demand for his jersey's to be sold commercially because now there is a connection between the number and player that wasn't there before. Now when a fan purchases a number 2 jersey for the Yankee's, they know that it is Derek Jeter's, and no one else's. This will make fans want to purchase more jerseys because they have that connection to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...