Thursday, February 18, 2016

Impact of Rugby World Cup on Economy

Rugby World Cup
Emily Becker

There is no doubt that people all over the world love their sports, however certain sports are more global than others. Football is mostly played in the US, soccer is more spread out but there is one sport that continues to prevail all over the world, rugby. The Rugby World Cup (RWC) is like the super bowl of rugby and it brings in profits just like the super bowl does. Capture rugby.PNG
The RWC is viewed all across the world broadcasted in 207 regions and with an ability to reach over 4 billion people. Not only is it a largely viewed event it is highly attended almost as much as soccer events in places such as the FIFA world cup in 2002 as you can see in the graphic to the right. The RWC also has a direct impact on the country's GDP (gross domestic product).  The France RWC in 2007 is estimated to contribute £380 million(548 million US dollars)  to the French economy. The GDP shows the impact of the event in a short term but long term the country gets exposure. Every Time the event is mentioned that is positive advertisement of that country. This exposure also generates more money because it draws in international companies looking to advertise, these companies decided that the opportunity cost of buying the advertisement is smaller than the opportunity benefits to be gained.
These events are very helpful economically but they also allow for a much needed advertisement of the game itself. Many people think rugby is just a violent game of tackling but it is actually about respect as well, you play a competitive game and then after you eat a meal with the other team and make lasting friends. There is however an opportunity cost on this and in this case it is money. In order to spread the game there needs to be clubs for people to play in and this means there needs to be qualified coaches and referees,  approximately  £1 million(1.4 million US dollars) have been invested in newly qualified coaches and referees. This is a growing sport, each year the RWC draws a larger international crowd  and the profits are increasing each year as well. Rugby and the RWC will continue to draw in crowds and make profit, who knows maybe one day it will be held here in the U.S.  

The Economic Impact of Rugby World Cup 2015. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Web.

13 comments:

  1. This is a unique topic to talk about consider all we talk about is the benefit of this new stadium as well and huge football games, basketball games, and baseball game. But too take a look aw the benefits and see what is happening with the Rugby World Cup. But to see that the Rugby World Cup is creating the same impacts are the super bowl is crazy. And that in 2007 RWC contributed 548 million US dollars to the French economy. You did a really good job talking about the opportunity costs of advertisements as well as the benefits of the costs. Overall this was a really good job on showing the economic impact of the Rugby World Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rugby isn't talked about much, maybe due to in America it not being as popular as it is in France and other countries in Europe as such. These facts surprised me slightly given how much I don't hear about it, although I understand why. Overall good post and I felt like I actually might have learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rugby isn't talked about much, maybe due to in America it not being as popular as it is in France and other countries in Europe as such. These facts surprised me slightly given how much I don't hear about it, although I understand why. Overall good post and I felt like I actually might have learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rugby isn't talked about much, maybe due to in America it not being as popular as it is in France and other countries in Europe as such. These facts surprised me slightly given how much I don't hear about it, although I understand why. Overall good post and I felt like I actually might have learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Similar to the Superbowl or FIFA World Cup, I agree that the Rugby World Cup has the potential to highly profit the country hosting it, such as how it helped improve the French economy. Although it is kind of in the middle profit-wise to other international sporting events, the more people become interested and involved in Rugby, the more possible profit. Overall, great job incorporating vocab words in order to describe the economic impact the RWC has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very interesting topic to write on, I myself have only heard of the Rugby World Cup a few times, and I have certainly never tuned into watch it. After hearing all the statistics however I am very surprised that such an event could bring in the same amount of revenue as the superbowl, but not be as well known. Something I never payed attention to when watching the fifa world cup or the superbowl are the effects they have on the economy, so that was very interesting to gain more insight to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with this topic, and it's a great choice. We talk about football, and basketball in the United States a lot more than the other sports that deserve recognition. Super bowl 50 had an attendance of 80,000 people and a lot more watching at home. While yours says it had 2.22 million attendance at the RWC. Imagine all the money that it would bring into the US. We could pay off a lot of our growing debt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never known on how popular rugby was in the world, and how much money it can bring in. With living here in the U.S. I don't hear as much about rugby, and I had never know about the (RWC) until reading this post. It is amazing to me to hear the large amounts of attendance that this sport brings. It is in talk with futbol which is the most popular sport in the world. The revenue generated by this sport could really help out our economy which it has already done for countries around the world. The consumer spending for this event would help the economy through ticket sales, merchandise, and food sales at the event. Overall, this was a good post because it shows people like myself, who doesn't have a good knowledge of rugby, what the sport can do for our country in terms of improving our economy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Until reading this post, I did not know that there was a rugby world cup. I found it interesting that rugby is almost as popular as soccer based on how many people attend the world cups. I don’t hear much about rugby in the US because the main sports that we focus on are football, baseball, and basketball. I wonder how the profits that the RWC brings in have changed from year to year. If there was increased awareness and funding for rugby in the US I believe that many more teams at high schools would be created. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great topic to write about. It is very true that football is mainly played in the US and that is something we are widely known for liking. Until today, I didn't know there was a rugby world cup. That struck me as interesting, I never thought rugby was a very big sport and I never though that it was growing to become fairly popular and that one day it could be a world-wide sport. I never really have thought about the effect of the super bowl of the fifa world cup on the economy. I think that if rugby became more popular that the economy could gain profits and such from hosting the RWC and other things like that. This topic is something new for me and I think that it was great to bring up another sport other than football or basketball. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never new how popular rugby is all over the world. It is amazing how much money can be brought in by the rugby world cup with the large crowd it brings in. Personally I have never seen or played rugby however, if it became a more popular sport in schools it would be a great sport to watch. I wonder if over time the popularity of rugby will increase if this occurs, more revenue will be brought into the country. I learned a lot about the popularity of rugby and this was a very interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew Rugby could bring in such a big amount of money and fans. It is amazing how much more money could be brought in if rugby was more adverted. Over all rugby has a major economic impact on the country that is hosting the Rugby World Cup because it bring in income for tourism.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a very different, but informative topic you chose. I had no idea rugby was so popular and created so much revenue, more than what people would expect. Knowing this it would be a great opportunity for the US to hold the RWC. Even though America has a great economy it can help lower the huge amount of debt that we still have lingering over our shoulders. While this may not solve the problem, it's still something positive to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...