Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Different options to make money through selling clothes

 by Emma H

Have you ever gone through your closet and wanted to get rid of the clothes you wore in 5th grade? Well I don’t know about you, but I go through my closet at least once a year, and find myself wanting to get rid of my clothes while also being able to make money off of it. Online shopping has become a lot more popular over the years, and especially this year. According to census.gov, “Internet retail sales have increased 3.4% from 2019”. That’s why I’m going to be giving you three great options to get rid of old clothes while also getting money back! 

The first option is something that I have been using for a while now. That is the app Poshmark! Poshmark is a social marketplace for new and also secondhand style for many. You can shop from millions of people, and also list your own clothes in under 60 seconds. Not only can you shop clothing, but you can also buy jewelry, shoes, home decor, and more. I love to use poshmark because it is such an easy way to make money, either as a side job or just to get some of the money back that you used to pay for the item you listed. There are many other apps you can use like depop or thredUP, but I find poshmark the easiest and safest way to list items. You can just snap pictures of the item you want to list, fill in a description of the item, list your price, and you're done! Shipping the package is also very safe and easy. Poshmark provides you with a shipping label, so you just have to package it and drop it off at your nearest mailbox.  Poshmark, and any other social marketplace is a great way to make extra money in a simple and sustainable way, and I highly recommend it. 

Another great option is an instagram clothing account. A lot of people I know have a thrift/clothing account on instagram, and they make a great deal of money from it. It's a super easy option to make money, and similar to poshmark you snap pictures of your clothes, describe the item, list a price, and then post it. People then can comment or DM you whether they want it or not. Another good way to sell clothes quickly is by doing a livestream for your followers. A lot of accounts I follow do livestreams on their account frequently, showing clothes and other items that the viewers want to see. They show certain brands or random pieces of clothing on the stream, and you can also offer lower amounts and bid with others through commenting. One thing is that although Instagram thrift accounts are a great way to sell clothes, it is a lot more complicated with shipping. When you ship a package to someone, sometimes you have to pay for shipping which isn’t good for some people in the sense that you’re losing some money. Other than that, Instagram is a great start to selling clothes on social media in a quick and easy way!  

The last way to make money through selling clothes is to do cash on the spot at Plato's closet. Plato's closet is a high-end thrift store that sells gently used clothes, and you can get popular brands like Lululemon and American Eagle for discount prices. I personally love shopping at thrift stores like Goodwill and St. Vincent, but most of those stores you can only donate. When you donate to Plato’s Closet you can bring in any gently used clothes, and they will go through and pick which ones they want to sell at the store and then pay cash for the items they want to accept. If you bring in a good amount of clothes, you can get a great deal of money, especially if they are new and high end. 


All three of these options are great ways to make money on the side, while also getting rid of clothes you don’t necessarily wear anymore. Giving or selling clothes to others who will get better use out of it is a lot better than having the clothes sit in your closet. So determine which option is best for you, and get money back for the clothes you're giving away! 

  Works Cited

Brand Name Gently Used Clothing Stores - Plato's Closet, www.platoscloset.com/locations/brookfield-wi.

“What Is Poshmark?” Poshmark, poshmark.com/what_is_poshmark.

“Figure 2f from: Irimia R, Gottschling M (2016) Taxonomic Revision of Rochefortia Sw. (Ehretiaceae, Boraginales). Biodiversity Data Journal 4: e7720. Https://Doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.4.e7720.” doi:10.3897/bdj.4.e7720.figure2f.


18 comments:

  1. This was very informative, as I've wanted to do the same thing for a while and didn't know where to start/which path to take. Would you find that Poshmark is your favorite since you've been using it for a while now? I also really like the fact that you kept it local to Plato's, as many people in the area do go there and have sold clothes on the spot--it's definitely something the audience can relate to. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally loved your topic because I have experience with selling clothes and had some previous experience with it. I have sold to Plato’s and had an Instagram account in the past, but I have not used Poshmark yet and have wanted to. After reading your description of Poshmark, it made me want to fully switch to just using that rather than my Instagram account or Plato’s. I personally haven’t found much success with either of those and wouldn’t really recommend it if you really are looking to make a good amount of cash, especially Plato’s. I sold them three pieces there and only got $20 for it! :( But overall, I think you chose an attention grabbing topic that targets high school students well and I was able to learn something new from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I like how you picked a topic that a lot of people our age can relate to. This is such a cool side hustle and you did really well when explain how you can best go about selling your clothes. The pacing of this peace felt great and I could feel your excitement throughout which really made it and easy read. I've also gone to Plato's Closet a few times to sell old clothes and really enjoyed it.Overall Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article is very informative and relevant. As a teenager, it can be hard to make a decent amount of money if you don't work full time. Selling clothes sounds like a good way to make some extra money. I did not know about Poshmark and was surprised that they cover shipping. I also was unaware that Plato's closet gives you cash for clothes. Selling clothes was something I didn't think of to make money but now I know it can be extremely profitable. Your article was well organized and easy to read; I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this very useful. I have been to Platos closet a few times but never thought about selling them my clothes. I didn't know you could do that. They just seems so cheap that they would be buying your clothes for barely anything because they have to be making money too. Then through my experience through insta is that it can be very good if you can get a following but to do that seems hard. Also it sucks to pay for shipping but sometimes they will pay for it or help and also you wouldn't get a fee like other apps. I really like how you mapped out all 3 options that I or anyone could use at Pewaukee like Plato Closet is local to all of us or any of us could sell on the other apps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this made me really want to start selling my clothes! I know I have way too many & this has given me so much motivation to start. I love thrifting & most of the time when I get rid of clothes I just donate them because that's the easiest way but now I want to try & sell my clothes to make some extra cash! Thank you for teaching me something new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this topic extremely relivant to people in our age group, as I am transitioning from highschool to my adult life and where I may find myself needing to save money. I like the 3 options you listed, it was a small selection but not too small. one thing I can add though is that this is only relivant to people whose parents allow it or to people who havent thrown out their old clothes or given it away already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this! I am in the same boat of loving thrifting and shopping, but then wanting to make money off of the stuff that I clear out. Poshmark is so great, but I've never brought anything to Plato's closet! I definitely want to look into that after reading about it. It's also really interesting how much online shopping has skyrocketed over the past year with the shut downs as well as new trends flowing in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, your topic was original, relatable, and very interesting! I loved how you listed a few different options, and also added in some visuals to break up the text. I especially liked how you hit on the fact that reselling and thrifting clothes is a lot better for the environment (and economy)! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece was very useful. This idea is great because it is easy and applicable to almost everyone. I feel like also this could be expanded to not only clothes. Maybe furniture and or other tangible products. For example if I were to remodel a part of my house I would definitely consider selling some of my furnishings should I have no where else to put them or if they serve of no value to me. Simple things like this could make quick money

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this article as it is relatable and an easy way to make money. Every year for Christmas I always plan on returning clothes that I don't like and end up forgetting them so this was very useful information to me. I have tried posting clothes on poshmark but don't get many responses, any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked you post as I thought it was super relatable for high school students. Like you said in your piece platos closet picks what they want and sometimes this can leave you with most of the same things you came in with so I'm glad you mentioned 2 other ways to sell clothes other then hoping platos takes everything. I had heard of poshmark before but never really thought anything of it after reading this it is definitely something I should look more into.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found this piece very interesting and useful because I never knew how easy it could be to sell your old clothes and shoes but, now I know how easy it is and I can now use it for some of my old clothes and shoes that have been just sitting in my closet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashley Anderson - This was such a creative topic! I have only sold clothes online a few times, so it was interesting to learn about different ways to do so. Another very common app that I have heard of is Depop. However, in order to sell on Depop, they charge you a 10% fee on your listing (which is a lot over time!). Do you know if Poshmark charges any fees to sell your clothes? Something I always remember to do before selling online is to first check if the website/app is safe. Then, I always make sure to check if there are any fees involved. Apart from that, I really enjoyed learning more about the different selling platforms you provided. I will definitely plan on checking out Poshmark if I decide to sell my clothes once again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If any of you are interested in selling more than just clothes, I would definitely recommend Mercari. Personally, I don't sell clothes online because I don't have high end clothes. I do still sell online though -- I sell my childhood toys. I've been selling through Mercari, and based on Emma's explanation, I believe it is similar to Poshmark. You just take pictures, describe the item, and list a price; once someone buys it they give you a prepaid shipping label. This has been a fun and easy way for me to make money during COVID.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Great blog topic, Emma! I recently read that all young people should try to find multiple forms of income, whether they are small or large. Selling clothes is a great way to make some extra money and help the environment by reusing old clothes. I have been interested in trying it before I go to college, so it was helpful to learn about different ways to do so. Poshmark sounds like the best option, but my question is if Poshmark charges any fees to sell your clothes? If they take too much then it might not be a good option. I really enjoyed learning more about the different selling platforms you discussed. I will definitely plan on checking out Poshmark if I decide to sell my clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post is very insightful, I had not before considered this method to make money. In the future I will be sure to remember this when I'm low on funds. Naming their brand after Plato was also quite nice because he was such a wise philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had never considered earning money for the clothes I don't want anymore, so this was a real eye-opener for me. I had no idea there were so many opportunities for selling used clothes either! It was really interesting finding out these possibilities. Thank you for keeping shipping costs in mind too, and showing alternative ways around shipping costs. Your blog post was very insightful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...