Monday, February 24, 2020

The Cost of Owning a Dog

The Cost of Owning a Dog
Written By: Jessica Lacki


Being a pet owner can be very fun and rewarding, but how much does it actually cost to own a dog? From puppies to adults, dogs need a lot of care and attention in order to meet their basic needs. Though it may not seem like much money at first, it’s important to consider the cost of taking care of a dog over its lifetime. From adoption fees to dog food to vet appointments, owning a dog can be a big investment.


To start off, do your research on the needs of the dog you are considering adopting and look into the breeder or shelter you’re considering adopting from. Purchasing from a reputable breeder may be more expensive, but responsible breeders are more attuned to health and behavioral characteristics of a breed. Irresponsible backyard “breeders” fail to consider a dog's temperament and medical concerns. It may be cheaper to adopt from the irresponsible breeder, but in the end poorly bred dogs with medical and temperament issues end up costing more. Another option is to adopt from an animal shelter. Shelters have many mixed breed dogs and though the history of some of the dogs are unknown, shelters ensure that dog's medical and behavioral concerns are under control before they are available for adoption.

There are a lot of variables that go into how much dogs can cost. The breed of dog, the dog’s size, grooming and vet appointments, brand of food, etc. all factor in to how expensive a dog can be. It’s estimated that dog owners spend on average $1,400 to $3,000 the first year. And though this may seem overwhelming, many of the purchases made within the first year of adoption are one time purchases or things only needed for puppies. Adoption fees, spray or neuter surgery, puppy vaccinations, food bowls, a crate, and bed are considered one time purchases, but they all add up to being around $1,200. Continuous purchases like food, treats, toys, poop bags, and dental care can amount to $150 on average per month. Along with all the obvious purchases, it’s important to think ahead and be prepared for other possible expenses. Emergency vet bills, dog training, grooming, and a pet license could all add up to being over $1,000.

Adopting a dog comes with an enormous list of things to consider, but in the end it’s worth it. Dogs are known to help with both mental and physical issues and being around them helps us grow as people.


Works Cited
“21530 Dog Infograph FA0317-01.Jpg: Pets Plus Us.” Pet Insurance by Pets Plus Us, www.petsplusus.com/file/21530-dog-infograph-fa0317-01jpg.

“Ask a Vet Online for Free, 24/7.” PetCoach, www.petcoach.co/article/cost-of-owning-a-dog/.

Jaffe, Kate. “The True Cost of Getting a Dog.” The Dog People by Rover.com, 7 Oct. 2019, www.rover.com/blog/true-cost-of-getting-a-dog/.

Reisen, Jan. “Cost of Owning a Dog From Puppy to Senior Years.” American Kennel Club, American Kennel Club, 28 Jan. 2019, www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/how-much-spend-on-dog-in-lifetime/.

13 comments:

  1. I am very shocked that owning a dog can cost up to 3,000 in the first year.I agree that there is a lot of things to do and a lot of needs to fulfill when owning a dog, but yes it is worth it. I think its interesting that the size, breed, and the vet appointments all contribute to how much you will be paying for it yearly. I would have just assumed they were all the same. You did an overall great job on this article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this article a lot because most people would not think of their dog as being a part of their budget, but you do have to spend a lot of money when you have something else to take care of and it's really important that we have numbers to plan around when thinking of getting a dog. I personally want a dog but I didn't realize how much they costed so this article is really helpful for me to start anticipating a new family member. Overall good job with the article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting a dog can be pretty expensive depending on what it needs. When I got my dog from the humane society, our family didn't really think about cost at all. This post is neat because I really didn't know that it would cost that much in the end. It seems like the emotional factor always (for most people) moves the money out of the way, but when you add it all up it can be a lot of money sometimes. Especially the first year almost being $1,400.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When buying a pet, not everyone is aware of the cost that it might take annually to care for them. It costs a lot of money every year to take care of your pet, and a lot of your money goes into grooming them, feeding them, vaccinations, a bed, and so much more. The picture with the chart and table was a great add-on, as you could easily get information of how much money you are going to spend on your dog, and how much it adds up to. It’s insane to hear that dog owners spend the first year spending an average of $1,400 to $3,000. You truly have to be prepared when buying a pet, and this blog post gives great information to make you aware of the costs of having a dog and when the right time to buy a dog is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not own a dog, however this article was very insightful and thought provoking. Owning a pet is an interesting example of opportunity cost, would the large sum of money spent on the dog over its lifetime be worth it? I think dog owners would say yes to that question but I don't own a dog so I can't be 100% sure myself. Where do puppy mills fall into the pet market? Is it similar to purchasing from the "backyard breeders" you described in the piece? Learning about the costs of dog ownership was interesting and useful for future decision making, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, I couldn’t agree with your statement more. Coming from experience of owning a pet, but also working at a pet supply shop, I know how expensive owning a pet can be. Specifically looking at dogs, some of our large bags cost well over $80. Depending on the size of the dog that bag can run out rather quickly. At my store we have customers come in once every two months to spend over a thousand dollars on food for their pets. Looking into your second paragraph about adopting the dog, not only is it important to look into the breeds you are considering, but also the shelter you are buying from. My grandmother used to work at Elmbrook Humane Society and she would always talk to me about how every shelter is different on how they take care of their animals and it’s important to adopt from a good facility. Although it can be expensive sometimes, there are also times when having a pet might not be as expensive. For example, people could adopt a healthy senior dog that has already been taken care of with expenses. Lastly, even though expenses depend completely on the dog or pet, I agree with you that in the end, it is all worth any expense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own a dog, and many of these expenses were not particularly surprising. Medical problems can be very expensive, but I think one of the biggest opportunity costs of owning a dog is the time commitment. Firstly, you have to take care of them as with any animal, but you also cannot leave them alone for long periods of time. The emotional factor of course makes up for it, but at times it can be very inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not own a dog, and growing up I never really understood why and this really upset me, because I would see all my friends having a dog and I wanted one for myself. This article helped me to understand the reasons why my parents did not ultimately decide to get a dog, as it is such a big commitment and they must have felt better about putting all of that money to other things. As for myself, in the future I am going to have to weigh the financials and make a plan for myself regarding the potential purchase of a dog, and figure out if all of those high costs will be worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I helped my mom take care of two akitas when I was about 5 years old, around this similiar time we went and picked out two kittens that I still own to this day. Caring for a pet is indeed a lot of work, but it is worth it especially when you want a way to unwind from your stressful days at work or school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica, you did a great job of explaining the before and after cost of buying a pet. Most people don't consider the aftermath costs of getting a pet and thus why many are shocked at how expensive it is to get a pet. This article would be useful if I were to get a pet and looking into the expense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very interesting article because there are so many people in communities that own a dog, or any pet. I think it is also very important to realize the costs of pets because while so many kids grow up having a pet, they often times fail to consider all the responsibilities of actually taking care of a dog, especially financially. Once people grow older, they might not even consider this when buying a pet because they aren't aware of how much they cost, so this is an important article for young people to view because it is important to realize all financial aspects of owning a pet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is important to consider all of these things before getting a dog. Especially because many people grow up having dogs, that is possibly something they see in their future. If someone chooses to get a dog before they are financially able, this could be detrimental to the dog and to the owner. Dogs obviously need proper care and that is not fair to the dog if the owner cannot provide what is needed because they did not weigh in the financial aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a dog and I never knew that it can be expensive my dog cost $400 and it costs $50 dollars to groom him. If I plan to get a dog in the future I may need to make decisions on my budget so I can get vet insurance, toys, food and a bed for my dog. When I was younger I knew that a dog is a big responsibility and when it comes financially I understand why they're a big responsibility. This article taught me a lot about owning a dog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...